If you’ve followed our blog and social channels where we post moving advice and moving tips, you’ve probably seen us talk about the benefits of moving checklists.
We’ve been doing this moving thing for a long time now, and we’re always trying to educate our customers on the best tips and tricks they can utilize to make moving a little less stressful. A moving checklist is always at the top of the list, and for good reason – it helps you visualize your progress and keep you on track as you build up to moving day so the entire process becomes much more manageable.
Moving checklists are essential to moving, staying organized, and keeping you on schedule. Moving doesn’t just happen in one day; you build up to the move over a few weeks as you sell your home, close on your new home, pack up your items, hire movers, schedule a moving date, and figure out what you need to keep and what you need to get rid of. Trying to complete that all the day before your move would be nearly impossible, and would leave you feeling overwhelmed.
When using a moving checklist, you can create a visual roadmap for your move and check your progress as you go so that you make sure all the responsibilities you need to take care of are getting done. If you’re wondering where you can find a moving checklist, don’t worry – we made one for you! Movetrac is a free moving resource we created – which can be used as a phone app – to help you during the moving process.
If you want an outline of what a normal moving checklist might look like, check out what we’ve put together below!
One month before your move
- Contact, schedule, and hire a mover as soon as you know you are planning to complete a home move to ensure you get the moving day you want.
- Begin the cleaning of various areas of your home – closets, attics, garage, etc.
- Begin changing your local address where necessary in areas like mailing, insurance, school records, and so on.
- Purchase moving boxes and packing supplies to help get things rolling on your move – local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK franchise locations offer a wide-variety of moving and packing supplies to fit all of your moving needs.
1-2 weeks before moving day
- Start canceling anything that is tied to what will soon be your past home address – Internet, cable, newspapers, or any labor services you receive around your home.
- Call all of your local utility companies and be sure they know the exact day to stop charging your old home address for services.
- Start the packing process and go room by room so you don’t overwhelm yourself. Be sure to properly label and organize boxes so you know where everything is on moving day.
The week of moving day
- Finish up any last-minute cleaning around your home and ensure everything is set for when you officially move out.
- Continue working on packing all of your belongings, working to have all belongings packed and ready to go before moving day arrives. For items you no longer need, donate them to a charitable cause or sell them, if possible.
- Make transportation plans for the day of the move so you know how you’re getting to the new place. If you have kids or pets, develop a plan that fits their needs, too, and figure out where they will be while the move is taking place.
The day before moving day
- Get in contact with your moving company to double-check that everything is set in stone for the ensuing moving day. If you’re moving with TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, we will send a pre-move email solidifying all important details of your move.
- Ensure all breakable items have been removed from dresser drawers and packed away.
- Take out some cash to hold you over during the moving process. This might come in handy if you need to get some pizza or snacks during the day!
- Complete any final cleanings of your home and appliances.
- Pack an essentials bag for items you can access immediately when arriving at your new home. This can include anything from chargers to toothbrushes, quick snacks, etc.
- Make sure there is a clear moving path inside and outside of your home for movers to navigate.
- Be sure you are at the home when the professional movers arrive so that you are accessible should they have any questions or concerns.
- Once the movers have loaded everything onto the moving truck, do one final walkthrough of the home and make sure nothing was left behind. Last but not least – go say goodbye to your neighbors!
If you’re looking to complete a home move in 2023 and want some help, give us a call!
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the first and largest franchised moving company in the United States. Let us help move you forward! For more helpful tips and information on moving services subscribe to our blog and like us on Facebook.