-Written by Megan Loop
With a new school year right around the corner, it’s almost time to get packed up for the fall college semester! For those heading to housing on or off a college campus in the coming month, this can be a stressful process, especially with everything else college students have to prepare for. Here are a few tips to make the entire process a little smoother and less stressful.
Make a plan
Get started on a packing list, figure out your move in schedule, and start gathering your essential items. Be sure to wrap any fragile items delicately, and hold onto any boxes you use so when the time comes to pack everything back up, you have the necessary supplies. It’s a great idea to fold down your boxes and place under your bed or in a closet so when it comes time to move out, you have your boxes ready to go!
Figure out your dorm layout and nearby amenities
Familiarize yourself with your dorm layout before moving in so you have an idea of how you will set up your belongings. Figure out where you have room to store your items and check out what amenities your dorm area offers. You could also look up good places to eat, shop, and hang with your friends!
Get rid of items you don’t need or use anymore
Getting rid of unneeded items will reduce your packing list and any overflow when finding storage in your room. Reducing clutter will also ensure your room stays neat and organized throughout the school year.
Get creative with your new room
Get started on any decorations or personal touches you want to add to your room so it feels like home. Bring along any posters or picture frames you like to make the space personal to you. Have any cool lights or cozy items that make you feel safe? Be sure to bring those items to make your new room feel homey.
Much needed items to consider bringing
- Sanitary items: This could be anything from paper towels, toiletries, cleaning products like Lysol or sanitizing products, and more.
- First aid kit: In the case of any emergency or injury, you’ll want first aid essentials nearby and any necessary medications.
- Towels: You will need these for bathing or any swimming opportunities.
- Fan: It can get pretty hot in dorms. be sure to bring a fan for comfortable room temperature control.
- Racks and storage bins: Try to keep things organized; you’ll make much better use of your space with these organizational tools.
- Trash cans and bags: Keep your room tidy by having trash cans nearby.
- Any necessary cords: You will need to make sure you have your charging cords and extension cords accessible in your room.
- Shower items: You’ll need all your shower goods like the basics (shampoo, conditioner, bar of soap, etc.) but also keep in mind you may need a shower caddy to hold everything. Flip flops will also come in handy for the bathroom trip.
College move in can be stressful but we hope this guide eases some worries. Laying out a plan and being prepared will allow you to adjust to your new space quicker. Whether you’re on or off campus, this is a fresh start and the perfect time to make your living quarters your own while enjoying your college experience!
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the first and largest franchised moving company in the United States. Let us help move you forward! For more helpful tips and information on moving services subscribe to our blog and like us on Facebook.