Home moving is a delicate process, one where a good amount of planning is required in order to eliminate unwanted stress or chaos as you transition from one home to another.
Some of the steps required include packing all of your belongings, figuring out which items you’ll be parting ways with, changing addresses for utilities and bills, hiring movers, and much more. We’ve helped people move for more than 35 years now and the best piece of advice we can give to customers for eliminating move stress is always the same: proper planning and organization – specifically by using a moving checklist.
A moving checklist is the best way to take your move in stride and chip away at the process piece by piece as you work toward moving day. From figuring out your plan of action to determining how you will go about packing, and everything else in between – a moving checklist is a good way to track your progress and give you an idea of how things are going.
One helpful moving checklist resource we’ve developed for those who want to take this virtual is Movetrac, which is a comprehensive list of moving resources and checklists where you can see real-time progress and get your moving questions answered all in one place!
We’ve also put together some of the most important tasks in a comprehensive moving checklist you can follow below. Enjoy!
One month before your move
- Contact, schedule, and hire a mover as soon as you know you are planning to complete a home move to ensure you get the moving day you want and that movers are available.
- Begin the cleaning of various areas of your house – closets, attics, garage, etc.
- Begin changing your local address where necessary in areas like mailing, insurance, school records, and so on.
- Purchase moving boxes and packing supplies to help get things rolling on your move – local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK franchise locations offer a wide-variety of moving and packing supplies to fit all of your moving needs.
1-2 weeks before moving day
- Start canceling anything that is tied to what will soon be your past home address – Internet, cable, newspapers, or any labor services you receive around your home.
- Call all of your local utility companies and be sure they know the exact day to stop charging your old home address for services.
- Start the packing process and go room by room so you don’t overwhelm yourself. Be sure to properly label and organize boxes so you know where everything is on moving day.
The week of moving day
- Finish up any last-minute cleaning around your home and make sure everything looks nice for when you officially move out.
- Continue working on packing all of your belongings and try to be finished before moving day arrives. For items you no longer need, donate them to a charitable cause or sell them if possible.
- Make transportation plans for the day of the move so you know how you’re getting to the new place. If you have kids or pets, develop a plan that fits their needs, too, and figure out where they will be while the home move is taking place.
- Mail in any change of address forms so your new place is ready to go with your information.
The day before moving day
- Be in contact with your moving company and double-check that everything is set in stone for the ensuing moving day. If you’re moving with TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, we will send a pre-move email solidifying all important details of your home move.
- Ensure all breakable items have been removed from dresser drawers and packed away.
- Take out some cash to hold you over during the moving process. This might come in handy if you need to get some pizza or snacks to feed everyone!
- Perform one final cleaning of your home and appliances.
- Pack an essentials bag for items you can access immediately when arriving at your new home. This can include anything from chargers to toothbrushes, quick snacks, etc.
- Make sure there is a clear moving path inside and outside of your home for movers to operate.
- Be sure you are at the home when the professional movers arrive so that you are accessible should they have any questions and concerns.
- Once the movers have loaded everything onto the moving truck, do one final walkthrough of the home and make sure nothing was left behind. Last but not least – go say goodbye to your neighbors!
If you’ll be moving soon and would like to see more of this moving checklist, click here! If you are interested in using our moving services for your next home move – or if you need any other service such as junk removal – visit our website to learn more!
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the first and largest franchised moving company in the United States. Let us help move you forward! For more helpful tips and information on moving services subscribe to our blog and like us on Facebook.