-Written by Andie Millerov
Although winter has its challenges, it can be just as ideal of a time to move as warmer months as long as the necessary steps are taken to prepare.
Utilize the following tips to make sure the unpredictability winter can bring doesn’t affect your move experience.
- Hydrate. Remembering to stay hydrated may not be on your mind when sunshine is replaced by snowflakes, but any heavy lifting you’re doing requires tons of energy regardless of temperature. That means drinking water during the moving process is a must!
- Keep an eye on conditions. Fluctuations in temperature means slush can quickly turn to ice. Be sure to plan ahead for the hazards this can create, and check the weather frequently to make adjustments as needed if snowfall or heavy winds are predicted.
- Protect your floors. Have old sheets and towels handy! Cover your floors at both locations to avoid snow, dirt, and salt getting tracked inside. And, wipe down your shoes and moving containers that have gotten wet in the commute before heading inside.
- Dress warmer than necessary. You can always take layers of clothing off if needed. The last thing you want is to be uncomfortably cold during your move.
- Watch your step. Unfortunately, ice can still remain even after carefully shoveling and salting walkways. Be mindful of where you’re walking outside – and be sure to wipe up any excess water that may have gotten inside – to avoid slips and falls.
- Prepare for nightfall. Shorter days in the winter months means it’s crucial to make sure outdoor lighting works in case your move wraps up later in the day.
- Set up utilities. There’s so much to remember when preparing for your move, but ensuring heat and electricity are ready to go at your new home should be at the top of your to-do list.
- Consider hiring professionals. Perhaps it would ease your mind to leave it to the pros. If so, investing in a move team may be the right choice for you. Just be sure to do your research and select a company you can trust to give you the best experience possible!
To get a jump on your next move and to create your own moving checklist to stay organized, click here!
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the first and largest franchised moving company in the United States. Let us help move you forward! For more helpful tips and information on moving services subscribe to our blog and like us on Facebook.