-Written by Erik Sargent
If you have an upcoming home move planned, you’re well aware of the fact that moving can be a stressful and chaotic process.
From figuring out what items will be going with you or getting thrown out to handling utilities, changing addresses, packing, planning, and so on – there’s much to be considered before the actual moving day arrives. As a company who has been helping people ease the stress of home moving for over three decades now, one of the most helpful tips we recommend to customers is developing and following a moving checklist.
This keeps you organized and on track throughout the days, weeks, and months leading up to moving day and will help your mind stay focused on important tasks. Thankfully for you, we took the time to develop a checklist for you – so follow along and take some of the hassle out of your home move!
One month before your move
- Contact, schedule, and hire a mover as soon as you know you are planning to complete a home move to ensure you get the moving day you want and that movers are available.
- Begin the cleaning of various areas of your house – closets, attics, garage, etc.
- Begin changing your local address where necessary in areas like mailing, insurance, school records, and so on.
- Purchase moving boxes and packing supplies to help get things rolling on your move – local TWO MEN AND A TRUCK franchise locations offer a wide-variety of moving and packing supplies to fit all of your moving needs.
1-2 weeks before moving day
- Start canceling anything that is tied to what will soon be your past home address – Internet, cable, newspapers, or any labor services you receive around your home.
- Call all of your local utility companies and be sure they know the exact day to stop charging your old home address for services.
- Start the packing process and go room by room so you don’t overwhelm yourself. Be sure to properly label and organize boxes so you know where everything is on moving day.
The week of moving day
- Finish up any last-minute cleaning around your home and make sure everything looks nice for when you officially move out.
- Continue working on packing all of your belongings and try to be finished before moving day arrives. For items you no longer need, donate them to a charitable cause or sell them if possible.
- Make transportation plans for the day of the move so you know how you’re getting to the new place. If you have kids or pets, develop a plan that fits their needs, too, and figure out where they will be while the home move is taking place.
- Mail in any change of address forms so your new place is ready to go with your information.
The day before moving day
- Be in contact with your moving company and double-check that everything is set in stone for the ensuing moving day. If you’re moving with TWO MEN AND A TRUCK, we will send a pre-move email solidifying all important details of your home move.
- Ensure all breakable items have been removed from dresser drawers and packed away.
- Take out some cash to hold you over during the moving process. This might come in handy if you need to get some pizza or snacks to feed everyone!
- Perform one final cleaning of your home and appliances.
- Pack an essentials bag for items you can access immediately when arriving at your new home. This can include anything from chargers to toothbrushes, quick snacks, etc.
- Make sure there is a clear moving path inside and outside of your home for movers to operate.
- Be sure you are at the home when the professional movers arrive so that you are accessible should they have any questions and concerns.
- Once the movers have loaded everything onto the moving truck, do one final walkthrough of the home and make sure nothing was left behind. Last but not least – go say goodbye to your neighbors!
We hope you found this extensive moving checklist helpful and that it was able to help you organize a little better as you plan for your upcoming move. If you are thinking about moving but haven’t started the moving process, give us a call – we’d be happy to help!
TWO MEN AND A TRUCK® is the first and largest franchised moving company in the United States. Let us help move you forward! For more helpful tips and information on moving services subscribe to our blog and like us on Facebook.